Ed Lycan Conservatory

Located within the Will Rogers Gardens, the Ed Lycan Conservatory is the centerpiece of horticulture operations for the City of Oklahoma City.  The classic Lorde and Burnham structure was first erected in the early 20th century and had various homes before finally being constructed in Will Rogers Park  by the WPA in 1935.  Over time the structure had dilapidated and was completely restored in 2013.

 

Once restored the conservatory's role shifted from a true plant conservatory to function as an event center.  Clean pavers responded to the building's architecture and helped to create a sense of space within the large palm house. Classic planters filled with palms harken back to the original intent of the room.  Teak benches were added for seating and to expand the material palette.

 

The north end of the conservatory traditionally housed the cactus and succulent collection.  Working with the OKC cactus and succulent society a large planter was constructed to provide seating as well as a miniature desert landscape.

 

Outside the conservatory, the design for the garden followed formal lines reminiscent of English Gardens.  Two clipped box parterres provide balance and symmetry to the building.  A new front plaza was constructed to act as an additional gathering place.

 

Complementary planters and teak benches were included to provide continuity between the inside palm room and outside plaza.

Year: 2014

 

Size: 9000 square feet

 

Budget: $1,000,000.00

 

Completed while employed

by OKC Parks and Recreation Department

 

LAUD Studio

2426 Classen Blvd

Oklahoma City, OK 73106

 

info@laudstudio.com

405.420.8800

Copyright© 2016 LAUD Studio LLC

Located within the Will Rogers Gardens, the Ed Lycan Conservatory is the centerpiece of horticulture operations for the City of Oklahoma City.  The classic Lorde and Burnham structure was first erected in the early 20th century and had various homes before finally being constructed in Will Rogers Park  by the WPA in 1935.  Over time the structure had dilapidated and was completely restored in 2013.

 

Once restored the conservatory's role shifted from a true plant conservatory to function as an event center.  Clean pavers responded to the building's architecture and helped to create a sense of space within the large palm house. Classic planters filled with palms harken back to the original intent of the room.  Teak benches were added for seating and to expand the material palette.

 

The north end of the conservatory traditionally housed the cactus and succulent collection.  Working with the OKC cactus and succulent society a large planter was constructed to provide seating as well as a miniature desert landscape.

 

Outside the conservatory, the design for the garden followed formal lines reminiscent of English Gardens.  Two clipped box parterres provide balance and symmetry to the building.  A new front plaza was constructed to act as an additional gathering place.

 

Complementary planters and teak benches were included to provide continuity between the inside palm room and outside plaza.

 

Year: 2014

 

Size: 9000 square feet

 

Budget: $1,000,000.00

 

Completed while employed

by OKC Parks and Recreation Department